Have you been in an automobile accident?

If you have recently been in an automobile accident, you may be wondering: How will I pay for these medical bills?  When will I be able to return back to work?  How will I support my loved ones while I recover?  Am I responsible for finding a rental car?  Should I give a statement to my insurance company or the at-fault insurance company?  At Preston & Salango, our experienced lawyers can help provide answers to these questions and other questions you may have.

The personal injury lawyers at Preston & Salango have represented clients suffering from a wide variety of injuries sustained in an automobile accident caused by the negligence or reckless misconduct of another motorist.  These injuries consist of sprains and strains, whiplash, broken bones, brain injury, paraplegia, quadriplegia as well as spinal cord injuries and even death.  Preston & Salango has helped clients receive compensation in automobile accident cases including drunk driving accidents, distracted driving accidents, hit and run accidents, reckless driving accidents, rear end collisions, trucking accidents, head-on-collisions, motorcycle accidents and fatal automobile accidents.

After an automobile accident, you may be wondering, how much is my car accident worth?  Every automobile accident case is different when determining this question.  In West Virginia, you may be entitled to receive compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, loss of enjoyment of life, property damage and in some cases, punitive damages.  These damages may include past as well as future damages.  In some circumstances, you may know immediately you have been injured after an automobile accident.  However, in many cases, you may not realize you were injured until days or even weeks later.  This is due to the initial shock and adrenaline of the accident and, as a result, some of your injuries may not manifest promptly.

You may ask yourself, what should I do after an automobile accident?  The first thing to do, is contact the police and provide them with an accurate statement of what transpired in the accident.  Be sure to stay at the scene of the accident until the investigation has been completed.  Take pictures of the vehicles involved as well as the scene of the collision.  Be sure to exchange information with the parties involved and report the accident to all of the insurance carriers.  Finally, seek medical attention if needed.

You may also wonder; how long do I have to file a claim regarding my automobile accident?  Every state has limitations or deadlines on the amount of time you have to file a civil lawsuit regarding your automobile accident.  In West Virginia, you have two years from the date of the accident or the date you discovered your injuries were related to the accident to file a lawsuit.  While some courts may “toll” or extend this date for certain circumstances such as being a minor or if a person suffers from a physical or mental disability, generally, there is a two-year deadline is known as the statute of limitations.

It is important to consult an experienced West Virginia personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an injury occurs to ensure that you do not miss a crucial deadline. Preston & Salango, PLLC’s experienced lawyers are prepared to give you the legal assistance you need to achieve the best legal results possible.

Please call (304) 342-0512 today for a free consultation. Preston & Salango serves Charleston, Beckley, Clarksburg, Huntington, Morgantown, and all of West Virginia.

Categories: Car Accidents, Personal Injury